As a narrative designer, he has covered everything from Storylining and scriptwriting to world building for the previously mentioned Path of Exile – a MMORPG with over 4 million registered users and was awarded Best PC Game of the Year 2013 by Gamespot.
In this interview, we discuss:
- What is Narrative Design in video games?
- How game immersion is often broken
- The problems of most educational games (“Chocolate over Broccoli”) and what actually works
- How game story and game mechanics should be connected
- When do you want to involve a Narrative Game Designer during the game creation process
- The number one mistake Game Developers make (and how to fix it)
- The potential for storytelling in video games
- Emotions in gaming
- Advice for those who want to write game narrative as a career or for their own games
How to connect with Edwin:
His Website – http://www.edmcrae.com/