Living in the U.S., it’s pretty natural to celebrate Thanksgiving – but I think no matter where you live, we all have this in common: we have a lot to be thankful for, and there are many times that we do not express or even think about all that we do have.
Here are some silly little things that I am thankful for as someone who enjoys video games:
- I’m thankful that I grew up in a time when video games were all cartridge-based. There was something awesome about buying a new game and getting to take the game out of the dust cover, slide it into the console, and fire it up.
- I am thankful for all the friends I had who were awesome co-op players. The fun we had together, side by side in the arcades.
- I am thankful for all my friends who still remained my friends after I obliterated them in Street Fighter II.
- I am thankful for Independent Developers and small game studios that have made games like Shovel Knight and That Dragon, Cancer possible.
- I am thankful for my friend Ryan who got me into collecting retro consoles and hitting up flea markets before sunrise.
- I am thankful for fellow bloggers like Jared Easley, Tor Constantino, Kimanzi Constable, Mike Kim, Johnny Lee Philips, Ryan Gray, Jody Maberry, Shawn Smith, to name a few.
- I am thankful for great music in games, inspired by games like 7Bit Hero, and the awesome remix community over at OCRemix.org
- I am thankful for amazing artists like Anthony Bulcao.
- Saving the best for last, I am thankful for my wife and son who both have been my biggest support in chasing my crazy idea of combining leadership and personal development with video games.
Your Thanksgiving Side Quest
Now it’s your turn – here are questions to consider, and I’d be rather thankful for you to comment below with your answers.
- Who is a gaming friend/group of friends you are thankful for?
- Which publisher or developer are you thankful for?
- What aspect of video game technology are you thankful for?
- What is your favorite video game soundtrack?
- What gaming experience are you thankful for? Perhaps it was a moment that has changed your life, or a memorable game that always brings back fond memories for you.
- What else are you thankful for?
Thank you for your comments!